Massage Therapy on Dunbar
St Philip's Anglican Church

Buntain Insurance is a family owned and operated brokerage that has been serving Vancouverite’s for over 50 years.

James Buntain opened Buntain Insurance on Oak Street in 1967. In 1975 James’ son Gord began working alongside his father at Dunbar’s first location. Over the years, several moves took place in the Dunbar neighbourhood until arriving at the present office space located next door to Stong’s Market.

Today, the insurance agency operates four offices in Vancouver including Dunbar, Point Grey, Oak Street, South Granville, and a new office is opening soon on Main Street.

Danny Buntain is proud to be part of her family’s business. She laughs when she says, “I grew up living and breathing insurance from a young age.” 

She has strong memories of lending a hand with her siblings and cousins by pulling out staples from carpets within the offices. As she got older she advanced to other office duties such as filing.  

After returning to Vancouver from working with the organizing committee of the Olympic Games in London, Danny followed in her father Gord’s footsteps and began working in the insurance industry. 

Gord and his sister Lynn are the principle owners; Lynn has been actively involved since 1972. Currently six members of the Buntain family are working with the agency

“Family is very important to us.” Danny Buntain

Gord comments, “Recognizing the potential of growth in the insurance industry and thoroughly enjoying working with people, it has been very satisfying to help develop Buntain Insurance into the company it is today – a thriving, multi-office business employing the best insurance professionals in the business.” 

Lynn adds, “I have had the pleasure of being part of the company’s development from one small office to our four thriving offices. My journey has evolved from a summer job as a teenager answering phoned to working with a very talented team at the South Granville location. I feel fortunate to see three generations working together in our family business.”

In turn, generations of families have turned to Buntain Insurance for their insurance requirements. Some existing clients have dealt with Danny’s father and grandfather. 

The Dunbar team consists of six employees who specialize in car, home, boat, and seasonal property insurance. They will recommend the best coverage and rates and work with you to help make the proper decision. 

Danny says, “Our goal is to educate customers as much as possible.”    

Giving back is very important to the Buntain team. Danny sits on the organizing committee and board of the B.C. Cancer Foundation’s Cypress Challenge that supports pancreatic cancer research. She says, “We take pride in our fundraising involvement.” 

Locally, Buntain Insurance throws its support behind sports sponsorships including the Dunbar Little League, soccer and football teams. Other community involvement includes Dunbar Village Business Association’s Trick or Treat event, the Vancouver Heritage Foundation’s annual Heritage House Tour, Point Grey Fiesta Days, and Artists in Our Midst, to name a few.

“My grandfather was always big on giving back to the community,” says Danny. She adds, “Our team are actively involved in the events, which allows them a further connection to the community. We live in the community. We support the community. We understand the community.”

ICBC has moved to a more driver-based insurance model.

In September 2019, ICBC made some changes to make car insurance better. You may be wondering what this mean for you, as a vehicle owner? 

Insurance broker Liz Nguyen mentions, “ICBC is asking owners to list other drivers, if any, on their insurance policy. The majority of the premium (75%) will be based on the principal driver and the other 25% is based on the riskiest driver listed.”

Adding drivers won’t necessarily change your premium – it will depend on the driver factor, which is a three decimal point number that represents your risk on the road. It primarily looks at your driving experience and crash history, as well as whether you are a senior or new resident. If one of the listed drivers causes a crash in your car, the at-fault driver will be held accountable for the crash.

Danny remarks, “Come in to see us. We are happy to walk you through the process.”

Like her grandfather and father, Danny takes great pride in her family’s business. She concludes, “The thing I like best about this business is the people. We look after families. It’s an honour.” 

Buntain Insurance

4295 Dunbar Street

Vancouver, BC V6S 2G1

Telephone 604-736-8855

www.buntaininsurance.com